Thursday 17 March 2011

Galleries and Sheds

Style, that magical, something extra.... I know when I’ve seen,  but it’s  a bit like relating a dream to someone, it kinda gets lost in the story.. but here goes...

 I went to The Museum of Fashion and Textiles in Bermondsey yesterday, Friday, and wow that was STYLE! At the mo there is a show of Sue Timney’s design, remember her? Shop in Portobello Road, designs everywhere, on fabric, on ceramics, made into ties, etc. etc. - mainly printed in black and  white, some gloriously multi-coloured, but the style was also in the quality of the printing, it was just so fine, and having been a textile designer  for all those years,  believe me it is a joy to come  across good design married to good quality printing on fab silk....

But that’s at the top end. Style comes at all market levels, in fact it is so outside any market value... I went  to stay with friends in Battersea for the evening, and there was style jam packed! My friend prints her own cloth, on silk, beautiful sort of abstract images, with loads of spots, with funky coloured velvet backing, and they are so cool! She has promised me a house gift when she next prints, yay! I’ll pop a photo up when she does. But the cool thing is, she does it all from her garden shed - no grand production line, no big contracts, personal clients who can’t wait to see her next range and are happy to build up their own collection...  Style and Cool together in a shed


Style really is about how you do  it, how you put things together and style is unique. We all have our own, we all have our own signature. At the mo, for example I am into flashes of colour, in my dress and in my paintings - I have been painting white and pale coloured ceramics together with a single bright touch of somtheing, it just feels lifting.. And yesterday I bought a colourful, slightly mad bracelet thingy from the MFT, all made from recycled fabrics.... I think its cool and I think it’s got style and it was only a fiver! I am also wearing/using my DKNY handbag. It’s made from the softest, brownest leather, it was a gift and I know it cost a bomb and I  have been loving it for nearly 30 years!

That’s “My Style” - I keep my favourites for ever regardless of their label, it’s their value that counts for me, not their price tag. In my home and in my life, I mix and enjoy equally, new and old, loud and quiet, bon marche and expensive. It’s the mix that makes the magic....

No comments:

Post a Comment