Tuesday 3 May 2011

Education, education, education - and not a Blair rant!

"Education in the largest sense is any act or experience that has a formative effect on the mind, character or physical ability of an individual. In its technical sense, education is the process by which society deliberately transmits its accumulated knowledge, skills and values from one generation to another." wikapeadia

Not quite what I was going to write about tonight, but that's the real point - the  going with, the "always being in the right place at the right time" sort of thing. It's not a matter of luck, it just means being aware of all the opportunities and turns in the road at any given time, which if  we look again, is  teaching on a real scale.

We, as teachers, hold up mirrors to our students, mirrors of ourselves, others and the alternatives. And being in the right place at the right time  doesn't mean always being in the clover . It can mean that we experience and taste some not so sweet moments too. But, if we look at the whole picture, it does all make sense and does lead somewhere, though the destination may be obscured from time to time.

Today I heard the news that I have been rejected membership to a pretty exclusive art conglomerate. I know that in a week, or a month or a year's time, I will have totally come to terms with this, or more so,   I will be grateful I  am not indeed a member, but  today it hurts. And that is really OK - today, my rejection slip was an unwelcome missile on my door mat, tomorrow I will see it as the herald of the next door opening.

We all need to remember and learn from our best teachers and we should also  really remember that learning is a lifelong commitment and enjoyment.

No comments:

Post a Comment